Sunday, May 16, 2021

Do Not Be Anxious

 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7


There are a few things to highlight in these two verses -

  1. We are not to be anxious about anything.
  2. We are to bring everything to God in prayer.
  3. We are to have a thankful heart as we make these prayer requests to God.
  4. God's peace which is beyond understanding will be upon us.
  5. This peace guards our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

I don't know about you, but I am quite the worrywart.  It is something that I struggle with and many a times I have been kept sleepless due to the anxiety.  I know intellectually that I should surrender my worries and anxiety to God.  I have even memorized Scripture verses related to this.  But somehow even after I have brought these worries and anxious thoughts before Jesus' feet, I cannot stop myself from feeling anxious and worried.

So, what do I do?  It is not enough to believe in my head the promise of peace that comes with surrendering all my anxiety and worries to God.  I need to believe, truly believe in my heart, and claim the promise of peace that is beyond understanding, will be mine if only I truly let go of my worries and anxiety and lay them down before Jesus' feet.

So how do I truly let go of my worries and anxiety?

Firstly, I need to confess and acknowledge that my anxiety is really about control.  I am afraid of not being in control of certain areas of my life, and the people in my life.

Secondly, in order for me to put into practice the surrendering of my worries and anxiety, there will be many instances that will come before me where I need to truly let go and let God deal with the situations.  I need to acknowledge and face these situations and believe that God has allowed them for my good and for the building of my character and my faith.

Thirdly, I need to daily surrender - intentionally surrender - all that is making me anxious to God.

Fourthly, claim the peace that is beyond understanding is mine even as I surrender everything to God, and that in the process my heart and mind are being guarded in Christ Jesus.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your promise of peace, that is beyond my ability to understand, every time I place my burdens on you.  Help me to truly let go and let you take control over every area of my life.  Thank you for my Savior Jesus, upon whom I can rest.  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment