Friday, May 14, 2021

By Faith in Jesus' Name

 And his name—by faith in his name—has made this man strong whom you see and know, and the faith that is through Jesus has given the man this perfect health in the presence of you all. Acts 3:16

The context of the verse is where Peter healed the man who was lame from birth and when the people saw the lame man walking and leaping, they were filled with wonder and amazement.  The people knew who the lame man was, and how he had to be brought to the Beautiful Gate by others so he could sit there and ask for alms.

There must have been all kinds of thoughts that came across the people's mind that day, and probably most of them thought and wondered about the kind of power Peter must have possessed that enabled a man lame from birth to walk.

Peter was quick to disabuse them of such notions. He did not have that kind of power, he said, nor did his piety enable him to heal the lame man.  It was his faith in the power and the authority of Jesus' name, that had made the lame man whole.

How does our faith in the power and authority of Jesus' name apply to us today?  Can we still, if we call upon the power of Jesus' name heal a lame man, a blind man, or a person of his cancer?  If not, is it because we do not have enough faith to perform the miracles that the apostles did?

I believe in the power of Jesus' name.  I believe that in Jesus' name people do receive healing.  But what about those who did not receive healing?

God in his infinite plan and purpose deals with each one of us differently.  The power of Jesus' name does not change.  Jesus is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow (Hebrews 13:8).  As to the plans and purposes of God, who can fathom?  His thoughts are not my thoughts, his ways are not my ways (Isaiah 55:8-9).

One thing I hold fast to, is that God Almighty, does not change (Malachi 3:6).  He loves me with an everlasting love, and has shown me unfailing kindness (Jeremiah 31:3).  I need to focus on who God is, the God who is worthy of my worship and praise, the God who has called me out of darkness into his marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9).

Lord Jesus, your name is powerful, and higher than any other name in heaven and on earth.  Help me, dear Lord, to always praise your holy name no matter the circumstances I am in.  Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment